SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (Thursday, April 23, 2020) – The Town of Summerville will operate an Essential Farm Goods Market in the Town Hall parking lot every Saturday from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. beginning April 25, 2020. This scaled-down market will replace the Summerville Farmers Market until further notice. The decision was made in the best interest of public health and out of an abundance of caution in helping to prevent transmission of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The Town is encouraging the public to follow social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention while shopping.
- Masks are encouraged for everyone.
- Foot traffic will be one way only within the market.
- Vendors will be spread out.
- If possible, please send one person per family to shop.
- Patrons will be limited to two (2) per booth at a time.
- Pre-ordering is encouraged.
The following will be vendors selling consumable farmed goods including: produce, eggs, meat, and dairy items.
- Gruber Farms (fruits and vegetables)
- Wishbone Heritage Farms (eggs and meat)
- Cypress Hill Farm (produce)
- Sunny Cedars Farm (meat products)
- Freeman Produce (produce)
- Three Oaks Farm (eggs, meat, milk, and produce)
- Shuler Peach Company (strawberries and peaches)
- Turner’s Farm Fresh (milk, ice cream, eggs, cheese)
The Town is under a State of Emergency through 11:59 p.m. Thursday, May 14, 2020. The vote made by Town Council temporarily suspends normal operating procedures of Town Council and authorizes the Town Administrator and Mayor to develop and enact a plan to ensure the continuity in the delivery of government services during the COVID-19 emergency.
All Town offices are closed to the public. Services for permitting, planning, zoning, business licensing, code enforcement, and general requests are available online through the CitizenServe portal or by phone.
Town Hall: (843) 871-6000.
Administration: (843) 851-4200 or (843) 851-4201
Building Permits: (843) 851-4205
Business Licenses: (843) 851-4215 or (843) 695-6508
Code Enforcement: (843) 851-4219
Fire Department: (843) 873-5107
Municipal Court: (843) 875-2010
Parks and Recreation: (843) 851-5211
Planning/Tree Permits: (843) 851-4214
Police Department: (843) 871-2463 or (843) 875-1650
Public Works: (843) 851-4225
- Proof of listed citations submitted for consideration while court is closed can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For requirements, click here.
- All jury trials for Friday, April 10 are canceled.
- All traffic/criminal court and preliminary hearings will be rescheduled for a later date. The only sessions that will be held are bond hearings daily at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. if necessary. Staff will be available by phone at (843) 875-2010 for payments and questions Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Payments can also be made online at SC.gov or dropped off in our overnight payment receptacle outside Town Hall.
- 2020 Farmers Market has been postponed. In an effort to support local farmers, the Town of Summerville will operate an Essential Farm Goods Market until the Summerville Farmers Market officially re-opens for the season. The scaled-down market will operate every Saturday between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. beginning April 25 with vendors selling produce, eggs, meat, and dairy items.
- Fire Department’s Car Seat Installation classes are canceled.
- May Movies in the Park is canceled.
- Staff will work with permittees on upcoming rentals.
- All deadlines for fines, penalties, and fees or the deadline for any other act required by the Town are suspended for March, April, and May. This suspension is only for penalties and does not affect the actual payments.
- Business license penalties are suspended through September 1. This suspension is only for the penalty if payment is not paid by June 30. It does not affect the actual payments.
Meetings can be watched through the links below.
- Yard debris will be picked up every other week during the month of April beginning April 13. Yard debris pickup is expected to run as normally scheduled for the week of April 20. There will be no pickup the week of April 27.
- Bulk pickup is suspended for the month of April.
- Service for trash and recycling will continue.
- Staff is still monitoring service requests through the Town of Summerville app and by calling (843) 851-4225.
- All Town spring sports programs are being rescheduled to the summer season.
- All Town playgrounds, public restrooms, tennis courts, basketball courts, and skatepark are closed until further notice.
The Town advises the public to take precautions issued by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the World Health Organization.
For more information on Town services, visit www.summervillesc.gov or call the appropriate department.